Village News and Events
in Boxted and Langham
If you wish to have an item included in this newsletter, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 5pm at the latest. Thank you.
Stay safe everyone.
Housing needs update
Last year the parish council tried to get a Housing Needs survey to every residence in Boxted. The aim of the survey was to identify what need there was in the village for lower cost housing for local people as well as to understand what support there was for an affordable housing scheme for Boxted connected people. We received a good response, and the Rural Community Council for Essex (RCCE) was able to analyse the results and confirm that Boxted has a need for affordable rented housing units (one 1 bed units, three 2 bed units and two 3 beds) which is a recommended need of up to 6 units. In addition to this there was a recommendation for 1 property of affordable sale model of shared ownership. The Parish Council, working with Colchester Borough Council and RCCE, will try to identify a suitable site and look to see how this need can be met.
The same need was originally identified when Boxted Neighbourhood Plan was formulated but unfortunately, although 7 affordable units were built on the HiIl Farm housing development because it was a previously developed site they didn’t qualify as specifically for local residents. They are owned by CHP Housing and would have been on the Gateway to Homechoice website that advertises social housing in several local authorities areas.
Dedham Road, Boxted
Theft from a motor vehicle. Suspects unknown have ripped off the rear number plate from a black Audi, (registration GL15 EHR) using means unknown before making off unseen.
Boxted Royal British Legion
Poppy Appeal Quiz
Sadly we’ve had to cancel our quiz this year but here’s a taster, just for fun and we’ll see you next year, for a chance to win the trophy!
Please donate to the Poppy Appeal at https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/ways-to-give/donate
Did you know that 1 – 7 November is Befriending Week?
The local groups that make up the Colchester Befrienders Network Group are taking this opportunity to let you know about us, what we do and most importantly how we can support you!
We can give someone a friendly phone call, invite you to one of our virtual coffee mornings or afternoon teas. We can also, where possible meet face to face!
We do this with the help of our wonderful volunteers and are always looking for more so if you are interested please give us a call.
For more details on who we are, what we do and how to contact us please see below:
- Community360 , virtual pub lunches, walk and talk sessions, welfare calls and for patients leaving Colchester hospital light touch support from volunteer befrienders to help you get back on your feet. Please call us on 01206 505250 or email us on
- Reengage , call companions telephone befriending service. Our call companions love a good chat and they’re great listeners too. They’ll enjoy getting to know you and telling you a bit about their lives too. Whatever you talk about, the phone calls will give you a real boost. Call companions is a free service. Please do give us a call on 0800 716543 or email us at email@example.com .
- Action for Family Carers : providing information, advice and support for Carers – including counselling, support getting back into work. online Carers café and activities to help Carers with their emotional and physical wellbeing e.g. mindfulness, walks, meditation.
Please call us on 0300 770 80 90 or email firstname.lastname@example.org website
- Essex Befriends : providing befriending for Carers, older people, people with mental health issues or a learning disability.
Please call us on 0300 770 1263 or email email@example.com website
- Age UK Essex , Our weekly telephone calls are the perfect opportunity to relax in your own home and have a good catch up over a cup of tea with one of our befrienders.
This service is free of charge so please call us on 01268 525353
- Independent Age , telephone befriending and virtual morning coffee sessions.
Please call us on 0800 319 6789
- Royal Association for Deaf People , remote support via FaceTime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom and coffee mornings and afternoon tea sessions via Zoom.
Please call us on 0300 688 2525 or email on: firstname.lastname@example.org .
- FUTURES in MIND , telephone befriending, virtual social groups and allotment sessions. Please see our website www.futuresinmind.org.uk or email us on:
- Warm & Toasty Club , on-line friendship afternoons and regular newsletter full of trips down memory lane, name that tune, joke corner and personal stories.
Please call us on 07594154709 or email us on email@example.com or you can find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/thewarmandtoastyclub
Lest we forget …
The photo above was of a flower arrangement which was part of a flower festival in the church to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday It is in front of the plaque in the church which commemorates the men who died in both the world wars.
- There will be a Gathered Service for The Feast of All Souls on Sunday 1 November at 4.30pm at All Saints’ Church, Great Horkesley to give thanks for the lives of loved ones who are no longer with us.
- There will be a Gathered Service for Remembrance in the Churchyard at St Peter’s Boxted on 8 November at 10.30am .
- There will be a Remembrance service at Langham Primary School on 8 November at 10.30am.
Zoom Eucharist Sunday Services:
- 1st November at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- 8th November at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
Sunday services are on theLangham and Boxted Church Website for all to view under Streamed Services. https://lb-churches.co.uk/streamed-services/ They will be uploaded on Sunday afternoons for as long as services are streamed.
Daily Hope – a free phone line of hymns, reflections and prayers. Available 24 hours a day on 0800 804 8044 has been set up for those unable to join in online church services during the period of restrictions.
In brief …
Your quick reference guide to newsletter regulars.
From 4 November, Thursday opening times for the Post Office at the Langham Community Shop will change to the afternoon, from 12.30 to 4.00 pm.
Monday opening times remain the same at 9.00 am to 12.30 pm.
Every three weeks on a Thursday 10.10am to 10.40am at Boxted Village Hall car park.
- 12 November
- 3 December
- 24 December
- 14 January 2021
Digital help at home
Remember that this service is still available online. Michael Smith at Colchester Borough Council is still offering digital support via a remote service. See the Council’s webpage or, for further information.
- Colchester 01206 282 452/ Clacton 01255 686497
- Email: Digitalaccesssupport@colchester.gov.uk
Covid symptom app
Please continue to use the app, log in as often as possible to let us know if you feel well or not, and encourage others to do the same.
Langham and Boxted Churches
Boxted Cricket Club
Mobile Library Service
Boxted WI on Facebook
Boxted WI on Twitter
Boxted Airfield Historical Group
Langham Community Centre
Langham Community Shop
Langham Village Website
Dedham Vale & Stour Valley ANOB
Essex County Council’s PROW Interactive map
Colchester District Neighbourhood Watch
Copyright © 2020 Boxted Village Website, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Newsletter editor: Angela McLauchlan : Design and layout: Shirley Szymanek