Village News and Events
in Boxted and Langham
Welcome to this week’s newsletter.
If you wish to have an item included in this newsletter, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 5pm at the latest. Thank you.
Stay safe everyone.
Boxted Community Hub improvements
A new garage door has been fitted on the Hub as part of the improvements programme.
After having the first lot removed by the CBC’s community zone wardens, another six bags of rubbish were left sometime over the weekend of October 17/18.
Please be vigilant and if you have any information about who may be leaving this please report to https://www.colchester.gov.uk/street-cleaning/#ValidationSummaryEntityFormView who will also come out and dispose of the rubbish.
Let’s talk carbon
Boxted Parish Council clerk, Karen Thomson, recently ‘attended’ a meeting via Zoom of the RCCE (Rural Community Council of Essex) which covered the subject of carbon emissions. It made quite an impression on her and she’s shared her understanding of the subject with us.
Karen covers the following in her article:
- How much CO₂ do you contribute?
- How can we reduce our CO₂?
- Don’t use up the planet’s resources
- Diet changes
- Car emissions
- Home utilities
- Airlines and flying
- On yer bike!
If you want to make a difference to our planet and help give everyone a cleaner, brighter future, download Karen’s article here and give yourself some food for thought (so long as it’s vegetarian!!)
Did you know that 1 – 7 November is Befriending Week?
The local groups that make up the Colchester Befrienders Network Group are taking this opportunity to let you know about us, what we do and most importantly how we can support you!
We can give someone a friendly phone call, invite you to one of our virtual coffee mornings or afternoon teas. We can also, where possible meet face to face!
We do this with the help of our wonderful volunteers and are always looking for more so if you are interested please give us a call.
For more details on who we are, what we do and how to contact us please see below:
- Community360 , virtual pub lunches, walk and talk sessions, welfare calls and for patients leaving Colchester hospital light touch support from volunteer befrienders to help you get back on your feet. Please call us on 01206 505250 or email us on
- Reengage , call companions telephone befriending service. Our call companions love a good chat and they’re great listeners too. They’ll enjoy getting to know you and telling you a bit about their lives too. Whatever you talk about, the phone calls will give you a real boost. Call companions is a free service. Please do give us a call on 0800 716543 or email us at email@example.com .
- Action for Family Carers : providing information, advice and support for Carers – including counselling, support getting back into work. online Carers café and activities to help Carers with their emotional and physical wellbeing e.g. mindfulness, walks, meditation.
Please call us on 0300 770 80 90 or email firstname.lastname@example.org website
- Age UK Essex , Our weekly telephone calls are the perfect opportunity to relax in your own home and have a good catch up over a cup of tea with one of our befrienders.
This service is free of charge so please call us on 01268 525353
- Independent Age , telephone befriending and virtual morning coffee sessions.
Please call us on 0800 319 6789
- Royal Association for Deaf People , remote support via FaceTime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom and coffee mornings and afternoon tea sessions via Zoom.
Please call us on 0300 688 2525 or email on: email@example.com .
Our service users have told us about the difference our services make:
“I enjoy my weekly calls with my befriender as – I feel he understands me and my mental health”
“My call is a lifeline because I cannot go out and have no family close”
“I did not know that there was such a thing as your service and even if there was I did not think it would be something that I would ever need. I feel blessed to have my Befriender, she has become her proper friend” .
“I feel like a weight has been lifted from me, my mum is getting back to normal as she no longer feels like a burden to me and we enjoy our normal conversations as before”
So, why not take the opportunity during Befrienders Week to ring us and try one of our services? We look forward to hearing from you.
Zoom Eucharist Sunday Services:
- 25th October at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- 1st November at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- 8th November at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
Should you require prayer please contact Revd Mandy Elmes via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday services are on theLangham and Boxted Church Website for all to view under Streamed Services. https://lb-churches.co.uk/streamed-services/ They will be uploaded on Sunday afternoons for as long as services are streamed.
Daily Hope – a free phone line of hymns, reflections and prayers. Available 24 hours a day on 0800 804 8044 has been set up for those unable to join in online church services during the period of restrictions.
In brief …
Your quick reference guide to newsletter regulars.
Next visits from the Mobile Pizza Co:
Royal British Legion car park. Remember to call/sms txt to order, where possible. 07982 427483
From 4 November, Thursday opening times for the Post Office at the Langham Community Shop will change to the afternoon, from 12.30 to 4.00 pm.
Monday opening times remain the same at 9.00 am to 12.30 pm.
Take-aways at Langham Community Centre car park
- The Cheese and Pie Man visits on Wednesdays 8.30 – 2pm
- Fish and Chip Van on Fridays 11 – 2pm
Every three weeks on a Thursday 10.10am to 10.40am at Boxted Village Hall car park.
- 12 November
- 3 December
- 24 December
- 14 January 2021
Digital help at home
Remember that this service is still available online. Michael Smith at Colchester Borough Council is still offering digital support via a remote service. See the Council’s webpage or, for further information.
Covid symptom app
Please continue to use the app, log in as often as possible to let us know if you feel well or not, and encourage others to do the same.
Boxted Parish Council
Boxted Village Hall
Boxted Village Website
Boxted Neighbourhood Plan
Boxted Primary School
Boxted British Legion
Copyright © 2020 Boxted Village Website, All rights reserved.
Our mailing address is:
Newsletter editor: Angela McLauchlan : Design and layout: Shirley Szymanek