1008 Edwin, Lord of Boxted, organised the building of a small Christian church on the site of the present St. Peter’s
1070 Normans arrived at Boxted Hall. Earl Eustace who held court at Witham, became lord of Boxted Hall, although the Saxon lord, Aluric, continues to manage the Hall. Arturus, one of Eudo Dapifer’s men, became lord of Boxted Hall. The Saxon lord, Grim, continued to live at the Hall.
1085 Domesday Book. Boxted Hall merited a knight’s fee, and Rivers Hall half, or part of a knight’s fee
1090 Robert of Horkesley and Beatrice his wife started constructing a new church at Boxted, incorporating the Saxon building within the Norman structure
1130 Church completed and dedicated to St. Mary (became St. Peter’s after the Reformation)
1140 Roberto, a monk from Little Horkesley Priory became Boxted’s first priest. In the 12th century, Boxted church was divided (moieties) between the lords of Boxted Hall and Rivers Hall, Boxted Hall having the larger share. In consequence, Boxted Hall gave its share to Little Horkesley Priory, and Rivers Hall its share to St. John’s Abbey, Colchester.
1250 Songer’s Cottage (Boxted’s oldest house), built in Cage Lane.
1617 Religious turmoil in the village, led by the Maidstones of Pond House. They wished to make Boxted a Puritan community. George Phillips, nonconformist divine, inducted vicar.
1630 George Phillips and many other Boxted residents emigrated to America. Phillips founded a church at Watertown on the Charles River, Massachusetts. Other Boxted residents went to Ipswich, Massachusetts.
1633 St. Peter’s church in poor state of repair. John Maidstone refuses Bishop of London’s choice of vicar and appoints his own incumbent.
1637 Post mill built on Boxted Heath at the place now called Mill corner
1643 English Civil War. “Oath of Allegiance” to Parliament, many parishioners sign or make their mark on the document.
1646 “Witch Fever” arrives in Boxted, hence the Betty Potter legend.
1648 Siege of Colchester. Battle on Boxted Heath and skirmish in the area of Hill farm and the Cross Inn
For further details look on the Civil War site
1908 The beginning of the Salvation Army smallholding scheme on what was once Boxted Heath. This followed a loan by a Mr. Herring to establish a ‘labour colony’ to put the ‘landless people on peopleless land’. Sixty seven smallholdings were established; most were of five acres with part planted to fruit. There was an outhouse, stable and semi-detached house for the tenant.
1910 Opening of the Methodist School in Chapel Road, and a visit to Boxted by General Booth of the Salvation Army, to inspect the smallholding estate.
1911 Overcrowding at village school. As well as younger children being sent to the Methodist school, some were sent to Myland school.
1911 Closure of ‘Thatcher’s’ in Mill Road. Record hot summer with a temperature of 101°F being recorded on June 20th.
1912 First doctor’s surgery opened in the village by Dr. Slade of Nayland. The surgery was held in Mr. Maylyn’s old Schoolhouse on Straight Road.
1914 The Great War. The war affected village life enormously. Many young men left the land for the armed forces; 16 of whom lost their lives in the conflict. A large number of horses were also taken for service with the army, leaving a shortfall of animals to cultivate the land. Women took the place of men on the farms and in industry.
1918 Armistice and end of hostilities. Much celebrating in the village.
Closure of Butchers Arms beer house on Workhouse Hill, and the end of trading at Maylyns shop in Straight Road. Smith and Vesey’s shop was sold to a Mr. Randall who started a radio business, and later opened a garage nearby.