The Thatcher’s was a much larger property, and as well as many outbuildings it had 25 acres of land. An outhouse was soon converted to brewing and the business became very prosperous. However, with the 1872 Act prohibiting brewing backhouses, the property was sold to Messrs. Daniels’ and Sons, Brewers of West Bergholt.
The last landlord of the Thatcher’s was probably the best remembered. He was one of Boxted’s ‘characters’, the like of which will probably never be seen again. His name was William Page. A man of short stature he was soon referred to as “Little Billy”. The selling of beer was only part of Billy’s career. He was a general dealer who bought and sold anything he could lay his hands on. Billy’s pony never passed a pub but always got him home. On one occasion Billy left to sell day-old chicks at Sudbury market but he had sold all his birds at the local pubs before he got halfway to Sudbury.
The Thatcher’s closed in 1911.