The Butcher’s Arms , Workhouse Hill

The Butcher’s Arms at the top of Workhouse Hill started trading in the late 1840’s as a beerhouse. Little is known of its early landlords, but it was sold after the 1872 Act, to Cuddens, brewers of Sudbury, and then, in 1905, to Greene King of Bury St. Edmunds.

This public house also had some 10 acres of land, together with a good range of premises for livestock. For some years, until its closure in 1919, it was the home of the Munsons, the local carriers. The Munsons’ carrier cart went to Colchester three times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. As well as personal transport and the collection and delivery of goods, they carried bundles of tailoring from women outworkers to clothing factories in Colchester and brought back new work. With the closing of The Butcher’s Arms Mr. Munson gave up his carrier business.

The property is now a private house called Ramblers.