Parish Council

Raising a matter before the Parish Council

  • You might approach a Parish Councillor and ask him/her to raise the matter at the next meeting. He/she will ensure that the proper procedure is followed.
  • If you do not know any Councillor then you must approach the Clerk to the Parish, Denise Humphris. You can contact her through email, Parish Clerk or she is available on 01206 329019 during office hours. Boxted Parish Council website

The Clerk generally attends Coffee Café the week before and the week after the Parish Council meeting where she is able to discuss any relevant issues in an informal setting. You will need to have notified the Clerk, generally in writing, so that the matter can be placed on the Agenda. This ensures that the Councillors are informed of the matter and also any other individual, who might have a different view, will be aware that the matter is being addressed. You would be permitted to speak at the Parish meeting.

What is a town, parish or community council?

“Parish and town councils in England and community and town councils in Wales are the first tier of local government. They deliver a vast range of services at a community level.

There are around 10,000 community, parish and town councils in England and Wales, made up of nearly 100,000 councillors. These first-tier councils can respond to the needs of the community – delivering the services or representation it most needs.

At present, but not in all locations in England and Wales, there is a three-tiered structure of local government.

Parish/ Council

Borough Council

County Council

Powers and duties

Parish and town councils have a large range of powers, and the activities parish and town councils are involved in are immense. Many parish and town councils are involved in planning, promoting tourism, licensing, community halls, representation, management of town and village centres and providing community halls.

How parish councils work

Parish councils are statutory bodies. Members are elected for a term of four years and councils are funded principally by an annual precept. Income and expenditure for the next financial year are calculated in the form of estimates. The net amount (the precept) is added to council tax, collected by the county, borough or district council (principal authorities) and paid to parishes in two six-monthly instalments. Parish and town councils can apply for other funding such as grant and funding awards, but they do not receive funds direct from central government, as principal authorities do. .”

The above taken from the web-site National Association of Local Councils (NALC)